Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Equality

Over at the other blog I toil on, I've decided this week to post one video a day of award-winning ads. Thus far, I highlighted this video from a Brazilian newspaper as well as this one from an Argie presidential candidate.

In doing my resarch a few days ago I found the ad seen below. It's from Colombia and it's a simple yet jarring ad on the concept of equality. Is it acceptable to treat those that are not "normal" as such even if it means possibly demeaning them? Shouldn't ones differences be exalted rather than to try to conform to what is acceptable? What would be a universally acceptable definition for "normal?"

These are just a few of the thoughts that have sailed through my mind in the numerous times I've seen the ad. Surely it is the ad's ability to make the viewer think critically that makes it so memorable (video link):

No comments: