Monday, April 30, 2007
Friday, April 27, 2007
So without further adieu here it is; try it you might like it:
Learning is power (supposedly).
Wednesday, April 25, 2007
Yet there is one song that has revved me up enough to continue with this week and whatever twists and turns I should face.
I present you with a live version of "Lorraine's Car" by Cake Like (whom I've mentioned before):
Saturday, April 21, 2007
+ Jozy! Jozy! Jozy! Strength, speed, and confidence. It’s hard not to become presumptuous, but can you imagine what he could do in a few years’ time for the senior men’s national team?
+ Sometimes minimalism is best, and the Virginia Tech insignia on RBNY’s jerseys spoke volumes.
+ Off-topic: Lionel Messi. Supergenious.
(Hat tip: Who Ate All the Pies?)
- Poor officiating tonight for the most part. The penalty against DeRosario was correct, but the ref missed several hard tackles against Jozy, was too harsh on giving Cletus the red card, and even missed a penalty call against RBNY with ~15-20 minutes to go.
- Cletus’ penalty miss. Tried to be slick (I guess) and it ended in an easy save for Garlick.
! Jozy’s unsportsmanlike celebration in front of the visiting
Wednesday, April 18, 2007
Compare and contrast the following ads, one for Empire Carpeting with Koz acting as several characters and the other with the fictional Vampire Carpeting.
Monday, April 16, 2007
Tragic. Utterly, truly tragic.
May all the victims rest in peace, and may we properly reflect on what occurred today.
Tuesday, April 10, 2007
- The New York Times review of a restaurant called BarBossa near the
. There was a small job fair a few weeks ago and I was trying to find out if my dear friend Venegas would accompany me. Not because I wanted to drag someone with me during a job fair, but instead to take her out to eat at BarBossa. Alas, she declined since she said she was super busy job hunting and getting personal things settled. Another day, maybe? Puck Building
- Speaking of job fairs, I went to one about a month ago near Penn Station with my bros. I got several great contacts but more importantly they made a killing with many prospective employers. That will make job hunting for them so much easier and I’m glad for them.
- All I know is that I copied these three links with this notation: “Metroshits fucking it up more and more.” Bad grammar aside, I’m more peeved at their administration than the Thomas/Dolan wrecking ball with the Knicks.
- I really don’t understand the great need behind revamping
. Though I would like to see the fountain raised to ground level I disagree with spending millions of dollars on the other modifications. Washington Square Park
- There are many things that I have to take advantage of before I finally bid adieu to NYU; discounted film vouchers are one of them.
- I have a funny feeling that I may have already linked to this before: “The Top 136 Albums or So of the Nineties.” I will discuss this list more thoroughly though I will say this- #1 is absolutely right and I’m surprised Bossanova didn’t crack the list.
- I wrote a while ago that VivirLatino is one of my favorite blogs and this post is one of the reasons why.
- Lastly, I adore satire and this article from The Onion pretty much sums it up.
Sunday, April 08, 2007
And maybe you know that a few days ago Gingrich posted a quasi-retraction via YouTube.
Well I have mixed feelings about his remarks and the brouhaha surrounding it, but I'll discuss it in greater detail in a future post either here or at The Latin Americanist.
However I will say two quick things:
1 - I'm really happy that The Latin Americanist was mentioned in a WaPo article on the subject. I hope that the exposure in the "traditional" media can translate in more readership of a blog that I've worked very hard on for over a year.
2 - Gingrich wrote a follow-up article on Sunday about his remarks; judge for yourself whether he's correct, wrong, or a bit of both.
Saturday, April 07, 2007
Image of Claudio Reyna via MLSnet.com
+ Though the game ended in a nil-nil draw, there were some positive signs for RBNY. Dutch boy (or should that be “man”) Ronald Waterreus made several huge saves in goal and I was impressed with his effort. Claudio Reyna was solid in his debut in the Reds’ midfield and I was impressed by Van Der Bergh.
+ Kudos to those that those few thousand fans in Columbus who came out to watch the season opener in spite of sub-freezing weather and some nasty flurries.
+ Also kudos to the Crew for the simple tribute to Lamar Hunt on their unis and mowed onto the turf.
- RBNY’s unis: like the dark blue color and monochromatic look but ode the superfluous piping on the sleeves.
- The defense was about as bad as I had anticipated. We were lucky a few times that the Crew didn’t score on us from several close chances including dead ball opportunities. The defense did improve somewhat during the last quarter of the game but that was due to a change in strategy where the midfielders stayed back more than usual.
- Off topic: Julie Foudy’s blunder during this afternoon’s DC-Rapids game when she said that Fred’s previous team was “the Melbins.” (Maybe this is being too nit-picky, but critiquing Dave O’Brien would’ve been too easy and I’m not in the mood to discuss Eric Wynalda’s seemingly latent homosexuality).
! I agree wholeheartedly agree with Martha over at The Offside’s RBNY’s blog: it is inexcusable for broadcasters to be stuck at the Garden while the team’s playing away. It looked like RBNY’s admin is running a second-rate equipo de potrero by having Shep and whoosits giving the play-by-play from midtown west. I can’t imagine the inane banter they will have if the video feed ever goes on the fritz. (On the other hand, maybe Shep can give more anecdotes of his time playing with Pele and Chinaglia way back when!)
! Mind you, the broadcasting team would’ve been freezing their asses off in Ohio if it weren’t for the fact that the team has lost a lot of money. (No, I’m not falling for de Grandpre’s spin on RBNY’s financial losses; it makes no financial sense to have zero sponsors and to have blown half-a-mil on expenditures during the ’06 home opener like having Shakira warble a single song. Perhaps it is all part of a plan to build a winning squad by the time
Friday, April 06, 2007
As evidence of her awesome awesomeness I submit the following YouTube vids as evidence:
If I am lucky I might be able to go to her concert Thursday night at B.B.King's with C. and her friend. I'll go if I can get over the somewhat prohibitive cost of the concert and depending on some repairs being done in the apartment. I really hope I can make it!
Monday, April 02, 2007
I regret not having the willpower to have called him, especially since my answering machine doesn’t have his message anymore.
I just don’t know how I will come to grips with this.
Sunday, April 01, 2007
Image via this site
T-Minus 25 minutes until debut:
- I wonder if Wiegel will give any hints at who's the father of her not-yet-born child? (My money's on one of the Reno firemen. It makes little sense, but I figure it could be a dark horse compared to some more obvious choices).
- I'm really hoping Maria Bamford's given a role on the show since that would complete the "Comedians of Comedy" exacta. Perhaps as a "friend" of Deputy Kimball, hmmmm?
- "And the installation is freeeee!" (I have no idea why that just popped into my mind).
- "Reno 911!" ought to be a lead-in for "Halfway Home", not riding on the coattails of Ned the joke-stealing shmuck.
- For some unknown reason I am worried that this will be "Reno's" last season. I have no idea why.
- Not to give too much away but I can't wait to see the episode where Dangle's ex-wife returns.
11:05pm: After watching the season debut the following thoughts came to mind:
- In the scene before the opening credits did anybody else notice that the ad on the side of the bus was for High Sierra Carpeting? (See comment#3 above).
- Of the Hotty's girls I found the redhead to be most attractive.
- Best of luck to Reina and the KKK guy. (Hell, if they can make it then anyone can!)
- Trudy Wiegel + pink and white uni = delicious!
- Speaking of Wiegel, the biggest belly laugh of the night for me was when she squeezed her right boob when trying to get Joe's attention.
- Too bad there was no Police-Tek advert in this episode.