Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Feliz cumpelaños, Moz!

Image from a December 2006 concert via BBC

Yes, ladies and germs, Morrissey celebrates his 48th birthday today! He hasn’t missed much of a beat in the last few years since he’s extensively touring and releasing albums on a near yearly basis. I still enjoy his music now since I first heard him eons ago in my youthful, formative years. Then there was also a very good term paper I wrote a few years back on his cult fan base amongst Chicano youth. Hence, Moz has been beneficial for me on several levels.

Though he will be stopping in NYC for a concert in late June I decided not to get tix for it. One of the main reasons why was the exorbitant ticket prices which is definitely out of my budget. (Aye, it’s one of the consequences of being an unemployed grad student). Mercifully, with the summer coming up there are many free/cheap concerts so that will help. (I’ll get into more detail about this summer’s concerts later this week).

In addition, I was a little turned off by the venue- the arena at Madison Square Garden. Maybe it’s a little too nit-picky, but the last Moz concert I went to was extraordinary partly due to that. The Apollo Theater was the perfect setting due to its intimacy and splendid acoustics. Perhaps I would’ve been more flexible if it had been at MSG’s Theater, which I feel would’ve been far better. So far I’ve only seen him that once two years ago, but I don’t mind keeping it that way for now. No rush, no worries!

I’m off to listen to Strangeways, Here We Come. In the meantime, here are a few MP3 files of the birthday boy:

Morrissey - At Last I Am Born

Morrissey – Last of the Famous International Playboys

Morrissey – We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful (live)


No comments: