Sunday, June 03, 2007

Feliz Cumple, Abuelita!

No excuses folks. I promised yesterday to write about what happened to me while I was on the road last week but I never did. Maybe I'll write something up tomorrow, though knowing me I might not.

However, I'm in bright spirits today on account of my grandma's birthday. She celebrates 86 years of life and has always been a source of inspiration for me. All her life she resided in La Palma, Colombia (which I somewhat described here), and she has an inner strength that few can imagine. She is the quintessential doting grandmother with her family and is a pillar of unity amongst us. Sadly, age has sapped much of her physical strength though she tries to be as independent as possible. I sincerely hope that I can see her alive the next time I travel over there (whenever that is).

In reminiscing of all the good times with Grandma, I remembered the Bill Withers' song called "Lovely Day." She can be tough at times but for the most part she is one of the kindest, most generous people I've been fortunate and blessed to know. She has the uncanny knack to turn any day into a lovely day, and thus I wholeheartedly dedicate this song to her:

No comments: