Sunday, April 08, 2007

English or Ingles?

So perhaps you've heard of ex-House Speaker Newt Gingrich's comments last Saturday calling Spanish the "language of living in a ghetto."

And maybe you know that a few days ago Gingrich posted a quasi-retraction via YouTube.

Well I have mixed feelings about his remarks and the brouhaha surrounding it, but I'll discuss it in greater detail in a future post either here or at The Latin Americanist.

However I will say two quick things:

1 - I'm really happy that The Latin Americanist was mentioned in a WaPo article on the subject. I hope that the exposure in the "traditional" media can translate in more readership of a blog that I've worked very hard on for over a year.

2 - Gingrich wrote a follow-up article on Sunday about his remarks; judge for yourself whether he's correct, wrong, or a bit of both.

No comments: