Thursday, April 13, 2006

Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?

I’ve been sick all day long. My allergies have gotten the best of me and I’ve barely gotten any work done today. Worse, I was forced to cancel today's appointment with my primary thesis advisor. I should’ve been at his office now listening to his suggestions and critiques. Instead, I’m stuck at home desperately trying to figure out how I will play catch up and have it all done by the time I meet with my secondary thesis advisor on Tuesday.

Aside from panicking, I’ve been doing some light reading and listening to an old mainstay: The Smiths. I’ve been listening to some of their very popular tunes like “Bigmouth Strikes Again” and “There is a Light that Never Goes Out,” but also “Unlovable,” “Death at One’s Elbow,” and “Oscillate Wildly.” (Even though “Oscillate Wildly” is an instrumental, it sounds very similar to Soda Stereo’s “Tratame Suavemente” doesn’t it?)

Okay, back to work but not without linking to these two Smiths-related videos I found on YouTube a few weeks ago:

The first ninety seconds of “Viva Morrissey”- a documentary on Morrissey’s devoted fan base amongst Latino youths in Los Angeles. (Nearly chose to write about this as my thesis).

The Smiths performing “There is a Light that Never Goes Out” during a 1986 concert in their native Manchester.


No comments: