Monday, September 11, 2006

48 hours

It’s nearly the end of the most difficult two days of my life- the first anniversary of my dad’s death followed by the fifth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. It is one these days that I remember and look back at the details of those two days. A somber pall blankets my mind as I think about all that I’ve learned from those two days as well as paying homage to those that deserve it. I have learned to accept the events of those days within the terrible circumstances that they occurred. For instance, I am not in “9/11 Denial” inasmuch as I vehemently disagree with most of the actions taken by the Bush administration since then nor do I keep asking myself why my father passed away even though it was an incredibly unfair that he died. Unfortunately the wounds are still too fresh and the healing process continues without a foreseeable end. Yet from the past we learn of how to conduct ourselves in the future which is why I try to do the best I can to move forward little-by-little and try to help others do the same.

I guess what I really want to impart is an old quote from famed NYC radio personality Harry Harrison: “every brand new day should be opened like a precious gift.”

Lastly, there’s one song that has helped me cope with me anxiety over yesterday and today: The Smiths’ “There is a Light that Never Goes Out.” Here it is as a music video (via YouTube) and as an mp3 (via this wonderful post from Obscure Sound).

, ,

No comments: